Monday, October 27, 2014

31 Days in Oregon: Powell's Books


• thirty-one day challenge •
{DAY 27} 
Portland Area

Powell's Books is the largest new & used bookstore in the world. The Burnside location in downtown Portland is one entire city block. It's huge with more & more rooms filled with books. It's also slightly quirky, which fits in perfectly with Portland.


The entrance at Burnside & 10th



View of the 2nd story from the street.

Entrance at 11th & Couch

Inside the Store
Large, open feel. I love the big windows letting it light.

Rows & rows of books

It seems as if there are staircases everywhere.



In the Pearl Room

Looking down at books below




The end caps have lots of good books & staff picks.

I like the signage on the end caps.

More end cap signage
Am I the only one who thinks about how you get a job making these signs? I certainly can't write the books, but I'd love to find cool ways to display them.

I also wonder this when I'm at museums. Coming up with creative ways to show off the history of an area, or an artist's work seems like a job I would enjoy. I guess I missed my calling.

Children's books

I have not seen even one episode of Downton Abbey, but it seems like a show I would like. Throughout the store are mini categories and signage to draw you in.

Another mini category: Whiskey. Interesting. I thought the only alcohol Portlanders cared about were their micro brews & wine. Apparently I was wrong since Powell's has this display. I can't stand beer or wine, so I would take the whiskey option any day.

Souvenirs of all things Portland

Bridges. We do have lots of bridges.

Biking. Oh boy, do we have lots of bikers.

Bigfoot. I haven't seen him in our forest... yet...


Sometimes a book's cover draws you in. This was one I had to take a closer look at. Then, I read the title & I found it even more amusing.

More book covers that caught my eye. Apparently, I liked the less is more look.


A cart with kitty captions. This is part of the quirkiness of Powell's.

Next to the Rare Books sign



Peeking out a 2nd story window. Of course, there would be a Starbucks in view. Powell's has their own coffee shop inside the store. There's also a Peet's Coffee right across the street on 11th. People around here are crazy about their coffee. Not me. Blech. Coffee. But, probably 99.9% of the rest of the population love coffee.

Don't forget to purchase your books on the way out.


To see what others are sharing for the month of October check out write31days.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...