Friday, June 27, 2014

Cinco de Mayo Celebration


On the 5th of May the kids did not work on their regular curriculum. Instead, we had a Mexican themed party day.


I took the items in the pocket chart out & replaced them with Mexico related things. My mom gave me the map with info on it, which was a placemat at a restaurant. The photos, money & dress up dolls came out of our North American Continent Box.





I read Tomie dePaola's Adelita to the kids. It is a Mexican Cinderella story.
As a comparison, I also read Cinders by Jan Brett. This book was a Chicken Cinderella story, which of course, we loved. We also discussed Disney's version of Cinderella.

This was a win, win & win conversation. I love Jan Brett, I love Tomie dePaola & I love Disney.

Spanish Bingo has been a huge hit on our Mexico days, so we played it again.

Bingo prizes were leftover pencils & erasers.

For lunch we had chicken tacos, Spanish rice & beans. I even pulled out the hand painted dishes we bought in Mexico many moons ago.

Mmmm... So good! One of my favorite meals.

We ate homemade churros after lunch.

The kids also made a few crafts that day.

It's a lot of work to put together a theme day, but they are so much fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...