Saturday, May 17, 2014

Sushi for Lunch


We are not a sushi eating family. But, since we were studying Japan I thought we should give it a try. We were out for most of the day, so we stopped at a Japanese restaurant for lunch.

We probably should have waited & gone with somebody who knows a little about Japanese cooking, but we didn't. And, we didn't starve. I didn't know what to order, so I ordered a bit of everything.


We started with miso soup & a green salad.
I'm not a fan of broth only soups, so I didn't love the soup. The greens in the salad were good, but I didn't care for the dressing. That's not saying a lot, though. I don't like most dressings.

Princess K enjoyed the soup.

The tempura was Mmm, Mmm, good. I'd go back just for the tempura.

I wanted the kids to try something new, but I also wanted them to have something they liked. So, I ordered this bento box that came with chicken teriyaki and gyoza. The gyoza was similar to a pot sticker & the kids absolutely love post stickers. They did like the gyoza, too. This meal also came with a California roll. I thought the California roll was ok, but the kids didn't care for it.

I also ordered yakisoba noodles knowing the kids would eat them.

We can't forget the main reason we came to this restaurant - the sushi.
I ordered the one with smoked salmon. I put on a brave face for my kids, but I was just as nervous as them.
We all tried it, none of us liked it. I just don't think I will ever enjoy eating raw fish. How did this become such a popular food item here in the States? I know many people that absolutely love it.  Blech...
Even if I could get past the raw fish element, the texture is weird. I don't care for cream cheese. I think that's what the white stuff was. The gooey softness of the cream cheese, fish, seaweed, sticky rice & whatever the green stuff was was just not a pleasant combination in my mouth.

The kids tried everything & even tried eating with chopsticks.


It was an experience. Almost a comical experience since we were so out of our element, but none of us left hungry. We all found enough food that we did like. But, the kids certainly haven't begged me to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...