Friday, May 9, 2014

Haiku at the Japanese Garden



Earlier this term we spent 2 weeks learning about Japan. We visited the Portland Japanese Garden to go along with our studies. While there, I had the kids draw their favorite place in the garden & write a haiku to go along with it.


I've been to the Japanese Garden a few times. I love it every time. There is so much to enjoy, but I think my favorite part is just how peaceful it is. To read more about the garden check out the post on my farm & garden blog.

Mr. T & Princess K chose the pagoda as their favorite spot in the garden.

I brought along colored pencils & paper so they could create their art.

Once home, they mounted their poem & artwork on colored paper.

Princess K's pagoda.

Capt. N loved this walkway.

He loved it because of the koi. I bet he could have watched them for hours.

So, I wasn't surprised when he chose to write his haiku about koi.

The haiku format we used was
Line 1: 5 syllables
Line 2: 7 syllables
Line 3 5 syllables

These are my favorite type of homeschooling days. I'm very grateful for these days & wish we could have more of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...