Thursday, April 10, 2014

3rd Quarter Wrap Up


Another 9 weeks, another quarter complete. We chugged along with curriculum, enjoyed a few snow days, attended extra curricular classes & went on a couple field trips.



• THE BASICS •

Math
Princess K continued learning tens & ones place value. We expanded on that idea using dimes & pennies.

Princess K learned new numbers & added them to this wall each day. Towards the end of the quarter we made it to our goal of 100.

I didn't get as creative as I would have liked with Mr. T's math this quarter. Pretty much I taught him the lesson for the day & he completed the worksheet.

Capt. N's math is fairly independent. He uses his Saxon book to learn the lesson. Then he does the problems from the book. That's usually the way his math goes. But, if he doesn't understand the lesson, he can watch a DVD with an instructor teaching the new concept. If he still doesn't get it, we go over it together.

Just to mix things up a bit & reinforce a concept, I occasionally give him pages from other workbooks too.


Language Arts
This quarter we used snowman pieces as our reading reward system. Each day they read, the kids added a piece to their snowman. After their snowman was complete they earned fake money for our student store & then started a new snowman.

Capt. N & Mr. T read chapter books, as well as short stories from Reading A - Z.

Each of the 3 kids are working on Literature Pockets from Evan-Moor. These are some of the projects that go along with the stories.

The boys do various worksheets with grammar, paragraph editing & reading comprehension. Most of the pages come from Evan-Moor or Scholastic.

We use All About Spelling. Each week the boys get new words, then they spell them with tiles - which is my favorite part about the program. The AAS instructor books come with sentences that include their new words & also review previous words. I read these sentences to the boys, they write them & we immediately go over any mistakes. Most weeks, I also have the boys independently write their words 3 times & come up with their own sentence. I'm hoping writing the word engraves the word in their mind & the sentence helps them understand the meaning of the word.

Princess K is still in the beginning stages of spelling. During this quarter we finished up the 26 Letters of the Week. We also worked on CVC words, sight words & sounding words out.

Princess K saw a robin outside & wanted to spell it. With very little guidance from me, she spelled it on the white board. These moments are my favorite.


Other
 
I use these Monthly Idea Books from Scholastic for a variety of activities for the kids. Last summer I saw them as 3 packs at Costco for 7 or 8 dollars. I bought 3 different packs. I haven't used everything in the books, but I feel like I've definitely gotten my money's worth.


We used those Scholastic books to make I Have a Dream mobiles. The kids & I had a conversation about how we could make things better for our community, our country & our world.




• FUN STUFF AT HOME •

We did a variety of snow themed crafts.

We had a small Valentine's Day party at home.

We played many rounds of Guess Who? Mix 'n Mash. I think I love that game as much as the kids.

For some strange reason the boys decided they wanted to sleep outside one night. It was the beginning of March & still quite cold.

They brought out a flashlight & night vision binoculars to search for frogs in the pond.




• OUTINGS •

Geocaching 
We found a few geocaches & our first Travel Bug. The travel bug we found didn't have a specified goal, so we got to place it in any cache we wanted. I chose a wetlands area since it's one of our favorite places to go.

While we were hiding the travel bug, Capt. N found an owl pellet with a mouse (I think) skull. A totally awesome find!


Venomous Reptiles
The kids & I went to a reptile store that we hadn't been to before. Inside the store was a Venomous Reptile Museum. It was pretty amazing. There were many kinds of cobras, rattlesnakes, vipers & more. I have never seen many of those snakes in person. I'll admit, it was a bit unnerving. I enjoyed it very much, but was slightly nervous the entire time.

The prettiest snake, to me, was the Green Mamba. It was beautiful. Pictures I've seen since then just don't do this snake justice. I would have loved to take a photo of the one we saw, but photos were not allowed. I learned later that it was the most venomous snake the museum had.

The museum also had a Black Mamba, which typically is a more venomous snake than the Green Mamba. But, it's venom glands were removed. The guy at the store brought them out to show us.


Roller Skating
The kids got invited to a roller skating birthday party. We haven't been skating much. It was fun.


Zoo
We went to the Oregon Zoo a couple times this quarter.



• CLASSES •

Violin
Mr. T is continuing to work through the first book of the Suzuki Method for violin.


4H
Mr. T is in a poultry 4H group that meets once a month. In March, one of the activities was to see how many pounds of pressure it took to break an egg. They tried a variety of ways - just the egg, an egg in a carton, an egg in a carton covered with bubble wrap. All the kids loved doing this. The most amount the egg could take was around 85 pounds.


Gymnastics
Princess K does gymnastics twice a week. She's no Gabby Douglas, but she's motivated & continues to improve. The girl can do awesome push-ups.


TaeKwonDo
The boys, including my hubby, go to taekwondo twice a week. They competed in a tournament in February & all came home with medals.

Cub Scouts
In January, the kids made cars for the Pine Car Derby race. This is always fun. I love seeing what the kids come up with for their car design.

Capt. N earned his Arrow of Light & is now moving on to Boy Scouts.


...On to our last quarter of this school year.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so much was packed into your schooling. I love all the variety. Wonderful stuff!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...