Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Weight Loss Results - Week 9

 


Another 3 weeks have gone by. So, it's once again time to see how I've been doing with eating better & regular exercise.

 • FOOD •
Average Net Calories in February = 1322/day
Chips. I ♥ chips.
The hardest thing about this weight loss is eating well. Shocker, I know. Last year I started running hoping that would knock off a few pounds. Nope, not even 1 pound lost. So, this year I knew I had to change my eating habits to make any significant changes. This is much harder than adding exercise to my day. My problem has always been that I like the good foods & eat them. But, I also like the bad foods & eat those, too.

Most days I still eat a salad for lunch.

Delicious! I stir fried veggies & shrimp in sesame oil, fish sauce, mirin, teriyaki sauce, ginger & garlic. So, so good. I think I will have to make this again today.

I should earn an award for this.
I picked up 11 pizzas, smelled their deliciousness while I was driving, got them to their destination & didn't even have one piece. I ♥ chips. But, I ♥ pizza even more.

I should earn a second award for this.
I ♥ chips, I ♥ pizza & I ♥ movie theater popcorn.
While watching a movie, instead of popcorn & a soda I had an atkins bar, pirate's booty & diet green tea. Truthfully, this was actually satisfying.

I'm still trying to stay away from soda. I think I did have more soda these last 3 weeks than I had the previous 6 weeks. But, it was still far less than my old habit & not even one every day. I realize that I could easily fall back into the soda habit... and that just can't happen!

I saw zipfizz at Costco and thought I'd give it a try. It seemed like it would be similar to the Advocare Spark that I love. And, it is kind of similar. It's a powdered energy mix I pour in a 24 oz. water bottle. Flavorwise, though, I much prefer the Spark - which is kind of a bummer since it's so expensive. But, if I'm going to stay away from soda it's got to be with something I like. So, I'll drink this zipfizz on occasion since I have it, but I'm going to stick with the Spark for my daily energy boost.


 • EXERCISE •
Exercised 22 out of the last 29 days
Most of my calories burned have come from the elliptical. I'm finding it extremely difficult to make it into town w/o the kids to run outside these days, but I did squeeze in 1 run in the last 3 weeks. I also did yard work on a couple of our non-rainy days. Most days I did at least a little something.


• RESULTS •

Weight Loss
Week 1: Starting Weight
Week 3: -5.2
Week 6: -3.4
Week 9:  -.4
Total: -9 pounds

Overall, I'm ticked off & confused - mostly ticked off. I shouldn't compare my journey with others. But, that's how I can gauge if the things I'm doing are "typical" & if I'm getting "typical" results. How do people lose even 2 pounds a week? I'm doing all I can without going to extreme measures & 2 pounds is just not happening for me.

I'm quite happy to be down 9 pounds from the beginning of the year. That's an average of 1 pound lost per week. The number on the scale these days is something I haven't seen in years. So, my changes have been working the tiniest bit. As I've said before though, I feel that my starting weight was a few pounds higher on January 1st due to the holidays & had I not changed a thing I'd have been back down those few pounds the next week anyway. So, I really feel as if I haven't even lost 1 pound per week.

I'm really trying. I've had a few off days where I ate more than I should have, including both Saturday & Sunday of this weekend. But, most days I do well. I averaged 1322 net calories/day in February. I don't even see how it's possible to net less than that. I'm not doing some extreme diet. I would never have stuck to it this long even if I had tried one. I'm just trying to watch the amount of calories I eat & get in exercise. Simply by keeping tabs on my calories makes me eat better. I can't have 3 slices of pizza & a soda for dinner & stay within my caloric range. Instead, I can have one slice of pizza, a salad & spark to drink.

I just don't know what I'm supposed to do differently. It's really frustrating to have not eaten the pizza at a celebration for my oldest son or not drink the soda I so badly want or have yet another friggin' salad for lunch & have almost nothing to show for it.

I'm not looking to be a size 2. I'm just wanting to lose a little weight & get out of the obese category. I know it's hard to lose weight when you're close to the ideal weight for your height. I'm nowhere near that weight, so why is it so damn hard?

-.4 pounds for the last 3 weeks?! My body is playing a terribly bad joke on me.

This is why I have given up in the past. I see only minimal results & I get frustrated. I've never worked this hard & I'm still only seeing minimal results.



I hate to end on a bad note with only complaints, so I will add something positive.

I didn't cancel my doctor appointment. I went. I've never had blood work done other than when I was pregnant. So, the doctor checked my cholesterol, sugar levels, thyroid & other things. I won't know the results of a few of the tests, including the thyroid, for a couple more days. But, I did find out the results of my cholesterol & sugar.

The doctor didn't say much about the sugar test except that it's within normal range. So, no diabetes or pre-diabetes. WooHoo! I thought it could be a possibility with my previous soda habit.

My cholesterol numbers were fabulous. The good, the bad, the overall - they were all better than average. So, it seems my cardiovascular health is in good shape.

My doctor didn't seem concerned with my weight. I'm not too sure what to make of it. I know darn well that I am in the obese category. I'm assuming since he knows I'm trying to make better choices, and my sugar & cholesterol levels are good that he doesn't need to preach about how dangerous it is to be overweight.




These were the goals I set for myself at the beginning of this journey & how I've been doing so far.
Short Term Goals:
• Lose 5 pounds each month for three months, for a total of 15 pounds. [These last 3 weeks certainly didn't help my goal, but they didn't hurt it either. I have 6 pounds to lose to reach my goal of 15 pounds. That would mean I need to lose 2 pounds a week for the next 3 weeks. With my results so far, it seems impossible. But maybe, just maybe, my body & mind will kick it in to high gear these next 3 weeks.]
• Make soda a rare treat, not an everyday drink. [This is still a challenge for me, but I'm doing ok with it.]
• Run 3-4 times every week [I've been exercising about 5 times a week. Yay!]
• Work up to doing 5 push ups.



Not much else to say except hopefully the next 3 weeks produce better results than the last 3 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Your doing amazing! How do I follow your blog from mine, I need stuff like this makes me inspired to keep pushing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice compliment! I appreciate it.

      It looks like your have a blogspot blog like mine. So, you should be able to click the "join this site" button underneath the "Followers" title located near the top right of this blog. I should come up in your Blogger feed after you do that. Otherwise, I am on Blog Lovin'. Is there some other method you would prefer to follow me? I may not be current in all the possible ways.

      Good luck on your journey!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...