Friday, December 27, 2013

Trip to the Pumpkin Patch

 

Back at the beginning of last January, I made a goal of finding 100 different bird species in 2013. Since it was nearing the end of the year & I hadn't found my 100 birds yet, I decided I needed to go some place different. I had read online that sandhill cranes were on Sauvie Island, an area outside of Portland. I didn't have sandhill cranes on my list, so I took the kids & we went to Sauvie Island. Well, I still don't have a sandhill crane on my list because we never saw them. Dang it! But, we did stumble across a pumpkin patch at Sauvie Island Farms.

We had fun.

We had never been to this pumpkin patch & I'm so glad we drove by & stopped. It's not fancy, it's not commercialized. It's a beautiful farm that sells pumpkins & other produce.


So many lovely flowers!

The kids loved climbing this pyramid.

They spent a long time looking at the animals - even though we have many of the same ones.

An emu. We don't have an emu, although I did have a chance to buy one not to long ago. I love them. They appear so prehistoric.

A beautiful farm!

A small corn maze entertained us for a few minutes.

We went on a tractor ride around the farm.
Mt. St. Helens in the background.

Although we didn't need to buy carving pumpkins, we did buy little pumpkins for launching.

The kids launched & launched & launched pumpkins until every pumpkin finally broke enough that it couldn't be launched anymore.

Grabbing her pumpkin for launching.

Some days & some outings are just better than others. This was a perfect day out. The weather was great, the kids behaved well (mostly), & we explored the beauty of the harvest season together. It is days like this that make my do-I continue-homeschooling decision that much more difficult. I will miss days like this... a lot.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...