Friday, February 22, 2013

Washington Monument

Since I posted about the Lincoln Memorial on Lincoln's Birthday it seems only fitting that I post about the Washington Monument on George Washington's Birthday. The monument itself was closed due to earthquake damage in 2011. But, it towered over the city making it awesome just because of its huge size. It stands 555 feet high. Different than much of the Greek inspired architecture in the city, this Monument is in the shape of an Egyptian obelisk.

I'm sure Capt. N & my friend were getting sick of me continuing to take pics of the Monument. But, I couldn't help it. Everywhere we went there it was peeking out at us.





One of our first glimpses of the Monument. Of course there was construction going on. There seemed to be a ton of construction happening in the city.

Early in the morning, near sunrise

I believe the red lights are there to make aircraft aware of the obelisk, but they seem kind of like spooky red eyes glaring at me.

The Washington Monument, as seen from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.

Vietnam War Memorial

Constitution Gardens Pond

Geese near the pond in the National Mall

World War II Memorial

Me, at the White House gates with the Washington Monument behind me.

Standing tall & proud



Floral Library



The National Mall lawn was getting redone when we were there. The Reflecting Pool down by the Lincoln Memorial was being improved as well. So, from both ends of the Mall was construction looking towards the Monument. That was a bummer, but gives me something to look forward to seeing complete the next time I go.




You can even see the Monument across the river at Arlington.

Living on the west coast, we don't have easy access to these National treasures & it was a real treat to get to enjoy them in person.

A little tip for fellow Pacific NW peeps, take any opportunity to go to Washington DC. It's worth it. But, do yourself a favor & don't let that opportunity happen in July. I was expecting hot & humid. But, I wasn't expecting it to be so, so hot & humid. It was almost miserable. But darn it, I was there to see the sights; so that's what I did. And I enjoyed them a lot!... But, I will never ever (if at all possible) go back in July. My northwest body isn't used to the eastern humidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...