Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Lincoln Memorial

Since today was President Lincoln's birthday it seems like the perfect day to remember my Lincoln Memorial visit. Last July Capt. N & I stayed a week with my friend at her sister's house near Philadelphia. We spent 3 days of our trip in Washington DC. Still, as I type this many months later, I can't believe I actually went to Washington DC. It was definitely on my travel to-do list, but I was planning on taking all 3 kids when they were in their teens. This ended up being a special last minute trip that I will never forget.

Only recently have I taken an interest in American history. I really don't remember anything from the class I took in high school. I'm guessing that's simply because it didn't interest me at the time. Now I think it's very important as a US citizen to care about the history of our country. I'm hoping to instill this value in my children.






:: Construction ::
 When we were there they were doing construction on the reflecting pool in front of the Lincoln Memorial. It didn't make for the prettiest view.
Signs showing us to take the long way around.
The crew up bright & early to start work.
The fencing isn't too nice in front, but the Memorial is great.



:: Exterior ::  
 The construction didn't obscure the view of the Memorial, though, once we were close.
I feel like such a dummy, but I didn't know this is what the Lincoln Memorial looked like. The only thing I could picture in my head was the statue. I thought it was fantastic!
I also didn't realize before I went that Washington DC has a lot of Greek inspired architecture. All the buildings felt like they stood strong & proud. The Lincoln Memorial was modeled after the Greek Parthenon.
Look at all the detail.
Climbing the stairs, Honest Abe comes into view! I'm getting excited just remembering it.
Getting closer!
Let's stop & take a picture. This was tricky for me, the amateur photographer. Trying to get my friend who was out in the light & Abe who's back in the dark to both come together nicely took me many, many tries.
I Have a Dream inscribed in the granite at the top of the stairs where Martin Luther King, Jr gave his famous speech. This was so well done. It's carved for the world to see, but is understated & not distracting to the Memorial itself. I wonder how many people have stood in that spot, just like I did, looking out at the reflecting pool imaging the thousands of people Dr. King inspired that day?
Standing at the top of the stairs. Looking out we could see the reflecting pool & it's construction, WWII Memorial, Washington Monument & the Capitol Building. Everything looks fairly close together, but it was actually quite a jaunt from one end to the other.



:: Interior ::
The interior of the Memorial is separated in to 3 sections. Each section is quite simple, yet elegant. The designer definitely went with the less is more feel. The two end sections have Lincoln's famous speeches engraved on each wall. One section has Lincoln's Gettysburg Address and the other is his Second Inaugural Address. The middle section holds the famous statue.
Me, in front of the statue!
Second Inaugural Address
Gettysburg Address
Close up of the bottom of one of the huge columns separating the sections.
Capt. N gazing up at Lincoln.






 :: Looking out the Back ::
As awesome as I thought everything else was at the Memorial my favorite moment was stepping out to the backside. My friend & I arrived at the Memorial just about at sunrise. There was not much happening in the park at that time of day. We saw a few runners, but almost no tourists. After we ooh'ed and aah'ed over the Memorial, my friend & I went to the back & just took it all in. It was so relaxing & peaceful. We vowed then to come back when we turn 50 & spend the day there. 
The columns at the back of the Memorial.
Looking off to the right.
Looking straight ahead at Arlington National Cemetery.
I was so excited to be there that I took a pic of my phone showing where I was.



:: Just Plain Awesome! :: 
My friend & I came back to the Memorial later in the day with the rest of our clan & it had definitely gotten more crowded. Somehow, though, it was just as awesome with a bunch of people.

I am so thankful I had the opportunity to see this Memorial with Capt. N. I doubt he fully understood how special it was, but I feel he got out of it just what a 9 year old should - exposure to the awesomeness of our country.

I'm sharing this post with the Hearts for Home Blog Hop.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice pictures! What a great subject for today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, i hopped over from Boost-My-Blog Party! nice to meet ya. have a great <3 Day!! big hugs. i've not been to washington dc in years - love your blog background. take care. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds fun. I grew up in Northern Virginia and had fun seeing DC with my family :-)

    Thanks for participating in the Boost My Blog party! I'm your newest follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- these are beautiful photos Jennifer! A great way to celebrate Mr. Lincoln's birthday. :)


    Thanks so much for joining us at the BMB party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome! We have been reading about Abraham Lincoln for a few days in honor of his birthday. I would have loved to visited his memorial with my kids.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    -Marissa
    visiting from Valentine's Day Blog Party

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...