Friday, January 25, 2013

LegoLand Review

The southern most place we visited on our road trip was LegoLand California, which is less than an hour north of the Mexican border. This was the first time to LegoLand for all of us. I thought it was so-so. It wasn't terrible, but there were a few things that could be improved upon.



:: WHAT I LIKED ::

MiniLand
I loved, loved MiniLand. If it wasn't for this area I would almost call LegoLand a flop. I posted at Halloween time about the lego trick or treaters that I adored. There was also much more to MiniLand than just Halloween characters.
Farm scene in legos.
Race Track
Vegas
NYC
Washington DC

There was a whole section based on Star Wars which was a huge hit with my kids. There were cute displays like these...
... and an ugly Darth Maul.


 Landscaping
The landscaping was tropical and colorful with many flowers in bloom.








 Pirate Reef
We didn't ride all the rides, but of the ones we did ride this was my favorite. It's not a long, fancy ride (nothing at LegoLand is), but we got wet, real wet. Be forewarned if you go on this ride you will get wet. It's not like some water rides where only a couple people get wet. Everyone gets wet. And by wet I mean soaked.



 LunchWe ate near here at Knights Table BBQ. It was a bit spendy, but the food was good.



Lego Sculptures
I enjoyed seeing all the creative things made from legos.




Photo Op
We took pics with a life-size minifig named Buddy.


Shopping
Over the summer the kids earned money to spend on souvenirs. They spent most of that money at LegoLand. Of course there was nearly any lego set you could think of to purchase in one of their many stores. The prices were very similar to what you would see in any retail store. Unfortunately, though, they didn't have many specialty legos such as technics. I'm not a huge fan of shopping, but even I had fun looking at all the lego stuff.

In one store you could build 3 of your own minis for around $10.

The kids loved creating their own minifigs!

They also had pick a brick. Capt. N collected a bag full of misc. pieces.



:: WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE :: 

The Rides
For the most part, the rides were not great. Like I said before, we didn't ride all the rides so maybe we missed a real gem. But, the few rides we did go on just didn't make us want to try out all the rides. The lines were short, but took for-e-ver. Maybe I was spoiled by spending three days at Disneyland right before going to LegoLand. But, at Disneyland if you wait in a long time in line, it's worth the wait. Here, no ride was worth the ridiculous wait.
This roller coaster, The Dragon, was alright but not worth the 45 minute wait.

We had just started the ride, Treasure Falls, in this pic. I was expecting it to be good. This was the single worst ride I have ever been on. Yes, really! Mr. T & I waited in line for also 45 long, long minutes - and not many people were in the line. The line just moved extremely slow. Log rides are supposed to be fun. This ride went so turtle slow that at a couple points in the ride I literally thought I was going to have to give us a push.


Spiderwebs
Lots & lots of spiderwebs. Will you find a spiderweb in my house. Quite possibly. But, you're not paying a couple hundred dollars to visit my house. If it's going to cost me that much to get in, I want it clean. There were cobwebs everywhere: while we were waiting in line I noticed cobwebs in all the corners, on top of the door & window frames, around legos, between signs & in plants. To me, that's just not acceptable.




The things I liked far outweigh the things I didn't like. But, still, my overall feel about the park was just so-so. That being said, if you have kids around my kids' ages (4-9) & they like legos it is worth the trip. My kids loved it, maybe even more than Disneyland. But, the reason they liked it was because of all the lego things to look at and buy, not because of the rides or attractions.

If you've been to LegoLand I'm curious What did you think?

I'm sharing this post with the Hearts for Home Blog Hop.

2 comments:

  1. Legoland is on "our list", but honestly, we're not amusement park kinda people. The crowds...the overpriced, mass-produced food...the wait...not for us. But the boys are crazy about Legos! I DO have cob-webs in my house! But I agree - someone should pull out a duster! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really enjoyed Legoland, but we also were able to go in the middle of the week during a school day, so the lines were almost non-existent. The kids loved it, I would agree part of what they enjoyed was all the stores with Legos.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...