Sunday, December 23, 2012

Snowflakes for Sandy Hook

I am very behind on my blog posts. Hopefully having a couple weeks off from teaching my kids & toting them to their various activities I can get caught up. But, I'm quickly putting this post together before heading out to watch the kids in their Christmas program at church just in case somebody else would like to make snowflakes that hasn't heard about this yet. When the kids from Sandy Hook Elementary go back to school it will be in a different building & volunteers are turning it into a winter wonderland. I can't imagine how scared those kids will be to enter a classroom again. Hopefully going into an enchanting atmosphere will make it a smidge easier for them. A simple way we can help is by making snowflakes to add to their winter wonderland. You can send your snowflakes to:
Connecticut PTSA
60 Connolly Parkway
Building 12, Suite 103
Hamden, CT 06514

For more information here is a link to the Connecticut PTSA

The kids & I cut 6 large snowflakes to remember the adults & 20 small snowflakes to remember the children in this tragedy.

I had silvery glitter hairspray leftover from Halloween that I sprayed on the snowflakes to make them sparkle just a bit.

I asked Mr. T to make a card to send with our snowflakes. He had the most questions about the massacre.

I hadn't told my kids about the shootings until I heard about sending snowflakes. I wanted to tell them, but I just couldn't bring myself to worry them. When I saw there was a way we could help and it was something they could even do, then we had the conversation.

The first thing Princess K said was, "I changed my mind. I want to be homeschooled next year." She goes to preschool this year and will be starting kinder next fall. As a family, we're still deciding whether to continue homeschooling or do public school. To be honest, I was surprised it effected her in that way. I guess they do understand, even at a young age.

I've had a couple people say to me, "Aren't you glad you homeschool, so you don't have to worry about this?" The reality is 2 days before this terrible event a woman was murdered just over the hill from us. They have a suspect, but don't know where he is. They think he may have been wandering through the woods. Her wooded area is connected closely to our wooded area. So honestly, no, I don't feel better about the safety of my children at home. The only thing I feel better about is that they are with me. It is extremely rare to have a murder in my area, but it happened. It is also extremely rare to have such a massacre in a school and unfortunately that happened, too. Our world is full of unhappy people & it's just as likely my family will stumble upon one at home or the store as it is at our local public school.

Mr. T has a huge heart & is very passionate. He had many questions about the kids, the teachers & the murderer. He tried to analyze why somebody would do such a thing & what he would do if he were in the situation. I talked about it honestly with him telling him the bad, but also telling him the stories of the heroes & how great the teachers were in this situation.

All Things Beautiful has a link-up if you would like to share your snowflakes. I'm sharing mine.

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas & give your loved ones an extra tight hug.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for showing us your snowflakes before you sent them off. {hugs} Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...