Friday, November 9, 2012

The Amish Village

Over the summer, Capt. N & I were able to take a trip to the east coast. It was great & over the next few months I'll be posting about that trip. We saw a ton of great, mostly historical, stuff in a week's time. Last week I posted about visiting Amish Country in Pennsylvania. This week's post is about visiting The Amish Village, a tour of property owned by an Amish family.

The property had much to look at and admire - a farmhouse, barn, chicken coop, garden, buggies, school house, blacksmith shop & of course, souvenir shops.

Inside the farmhouse. The Amish bibles are typically in German.

I found this tidbit interesting. The Amish are not supposed to show off anything. Everything is functional. So, often you will find many calendars in their house - because of the pretty pictures on most calendars. It is a way to add something pretty in your home, without breaking any rules. Calendars are functional.

Here's another way they add beauty to their home. This is a holder for scissors. They make it pretty & hang it on their wall.

In a bedroom, with a quilt for sale.

Women's bonnets & men's nice hats. They wear straw hats when they are outside farming. Another tidbit I found interesting: they can wear whatever kind of shoes they want.

Typical clothes worn by Amish women. The dress can be any plain color. A married woman wears a black apron.

To be respectful of the military, they don't use buttons on their clothes. Women's clothes are held together by pins - and not safety pins, just straight pins. I'm sure they have mastered ways in which not to get poked, but that sounds awful.

In the basement. A cook stove, butter churn and washing machine. The Amish do not use electricity, so often times if they have an electric appliance, they convert it to run off propane or a lawn mower engine.

They do have a few, well kept flowers around. But, not many.

The barn.

The barn even had critters, like this calf.

In the barn.

Also, in the barn. The machinery is a grain cleaner. There was also a few things hanging to dry.

They use a water wheel to get their water.

An Amish family buggy.

One room school house.

Inside the school house. One thing I noticed was that again their weren't any foofy decorations. Instead, a lot of the student work was educational coloring sheets hung on the wall.

Blacksmith Shop

Inside the blacksmith shop.

They had a couple shops on the property. My favorite was a small building selling homey items like cookbooks & Amish canned food. Be aware, though, these homemade jars of goodies are considered liquid when going through airport security and are too big to be in your carry on. Somebody at the airport has probably been enjoying the three jars I bought. We weren't checking any bags, so the jars were in my carry on. Security wouldn't let them on the plain. I had to leave them there - or go back and check my bag, which would have been $25. I was bummed, but I bought a cookbook so I will just make my own Amish food.

If you're traveling through Lancaster County, I would recommend a stop here. Since I don't know any Amish folks this was the best way for us to check out how they live. Although, it was a bit touristy, of course. They have typical souvenirs including the cute faceless doll I bought for Princess K that is similar to what Amish girls play with (except these ones are made in China.) And, you can sit in the buggies and take fun pics. They wouldn't miss an advertising opportunity & have their name right in front of each buggy. I enjoyed how peaceful it was, just like how I imagine they really live. To see more Amish Village pics check out my Flickr page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...