Monday, November 12, 2012

October in Review

November is almost half over, but I'm finally posting about our schooling in October. I had great intentions of writing this post the day before Halloween. Somehow that never happened.

October was a busy month for us. We were gone the first two weeks on a road trip. I will post more about it in the following months, but for a quick look at our trip visit this post on my gardening blog. Of course Halloween is also in October, so we went to a couple parties & enjoyed trick or treating. We didn't make it to the pumpkin patch this year. This is the first time since I've had kids that we haven't gone to a pumpkin patch. I'm even so ridiculous about it, we often visit 2 or 3 different pumpkin patches each year just because I think they're fun. We'll just have to make up for it next year. We grew pumpkins this year in our garden & thank goodness we had enough decent sized ones for the kids to carve. Throw in preschool, soccer, gymnastics, scouts, tae kwon do, Sunday School, lego robotics, the homeschool group & actual school work & I'm ready for a nap. It's hard to complain, though. We are a blessed family & have many reasons to be thankful.

The furthest place we traveled to on our road trip was the Grand Canyon. This was the first time seeing it for all of us. It was even more awesome than I imagined.

I scheduled our homeschooling year to include the 2 weeks off for this trip. But, I tried to sneak in a few school-type activities during our many, many hours in the car. I don't know the exact number of hours we drove, but we put 3500 miles on our car.

Capt. N enjoys doing these type of poems, so I took advantage of that. I quickly wrote the names of the places we had been & he wrote his poem.

Mr. T wrote this story early on in our trip. It's missing punctuation & correct usage of lower & upper case letters, but I love this story.

Since we're on the writing subject, here's another story written by Mr. T.

What can a robot do? A robot can dance. A robot can jump. A snake robot can slither. A bird robot can fly. A cow robot can do something funny with its utters. It can squirt out milk jugs. Robots can do lots of things.
 
Mr. T is learning about contractions, so he made this cute contraction caterpillar similar to the one at Step into 2nd Grade.

I wanted to throw in a few Halloween themed activities this month. The boys did a writing project on My Pet Monster.

I printed the Halloween Activity Pack from Enchanted Homeschooling Mom & we did many of the activities including these word family worksheets.

We read a few Halloween picture books at bedtime. Our favorites are Room on the Broom & We're Off to Find the Witch's House.

The boys & I read Junie B's Boo... and I Mean It! This was Mr. T's first Junie B book and he got a kick out of her silliness.

We also read Happy Haunting, Amelia Bedelia. Mr. T has recently really gotten into Amelia Bedelia books. I think he likes them because he feels like he's reading a big kid book. He can't read every word in the books, but he's doing a great job trying.

The kids have been working on a few sewing projects lately.

Princess K & Mr. T sewed felt pumpkins. Mr. T even sewed on his own button eyes.

It was a fun-filled, busy month. Hopefully November is slightly less hectic since there will be lots of hustle and bustle in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...