Saturday, October 13, 2012

September in Review

Hot dang, time goes by quickly! We have already finished one quarter/9weeks of our school year. That's absolutely amazing to me.

We just got back from a fun, fun road trip so I'm late with posting September's Month in Review. I also don't have many pics from September, but I'll share a few that I do have.


Last year Mr. T learned the b-e-d trick for remembering which way to make a b or a d. He does it by putting his hands in a fist with his thumbs up, like in the photo. He knows bed is spelled b-e-d. He looks at his hands to imagine that he's using his hands to spell bed. When he looks at his hands, his left hand is the b, the space is e, and his right hand is d. This shows him which way to write his b or d. I see him using this often when he's spelling words.

Capt. N finished reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House in the Big Woods. Unfortunately, he wasn't really in to it. Such a bummer. I love these stories. Last year, he seemed to enjoy Farmer Boy, so I thought he'd like this book, too.

We had fun making dye & pressing flowers. The kids made notecards combining the two activities.

This quarter we had a (mostly) good time learning about our history when the pioneers were moving west. The boys each made a covered wagon. I love them, I think they turned out great.

The boys practiced using a compass. We turned it into art.

Nine weeks down, a two week break & Monday it's back to class.

1 comment:

  1. That is wonderful that you are finished the first quarter! I will have to try again with the b-e-d thing again. I tried it with my little one but it didn't stick. Perhaps it will now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...