Friday, October 12, 2012

Laura Ingalls Wilder in Walnut Grove, MN - Part 2


While in Walnut Grove I walked through the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum. If I'm going to be honest, this was probably my least favorite LIW place to visit. It had very little Ingalls memorabilia. It had stuff from the tv show, but mostly it had displays on pioneers in general. I very much enjoy the pioneer time period, but I was there for the LIW goodies and this museum just didn't pull me in. I'm no hoity-toity, and I even thought some of their displays were very cheaply done. I did take lots of pictures, though, so there must have been plenty to see.


It wouldn't be a pioneer museum without a covered wagon out front.

There was a small corner when you first walked in that had real Laura stuff. The quilt was made by Laura & her daughter, Rose. Since I like to sew, that actually was awesome to see. There are also a couple pieces crocheted by Laura. And, the sewing basket & contents belonged to Laura.

Here we have a cup, saucer & spoon that were Laura's. The book was also hers & she has signed it Bessie Wilder. Almanzo would call her Bessie & Rose would call her Mama Bess.

This is fun since it's in her own handwriting. It's a map Laura drew of Walnut Grove while writing the book, On the Banks of Plum Creek.

Pa's parents: Lansford & Laura Ingalls

The real Oleson family as mentioned in On the Banks of Plum Creek. Their real last name was Owens. The back row are the children Frank, Nellie & Willie. Seated in front are the parents William & Margaret.

This is a red pew from the Congregational Church in Walnut Grove that the Ingalls family attended.

This says, "Laura Ingalls Wilder's strength was rooted in faith, and she had written a Scriptural guide for facing troubles."

Little House on the Prairie tv goodies, including the mantel that hung in the Ingalls home.

A replica of the Ingalls home on the set of Little House on the Prairie.

Outside there were random buildings from the time period.

The Children's Chapel. I'm not sure if this was built just for this museum or if it is a church from the pioneer days. Many of the furnishings inside came from various church's in Walnut Grove.

It was cute inside with pretty stained glass windows.

Inside the Children's Chapel

I'm not sure exactly what this building is. Even on the museum website it's only referred to as the onion-domed house. I'm guessing it was an old farm house, maybe built in the late 1800's.

Inside the onion-domed house was a hodge podge of things you might find in a typical pioneering family home.

A snippet from Little House in the Big Woods.

Display case filled with a variety of sewing items from back in the day.

Here I am being hoity-toity. This is a museum where people pay money. Many of their informational graphics looked like they were cut & pasted onto poster board. I don't think they just looked that way. I think that's what they really were. It's like they had the local elementary school put together posters for their museum. Some looked worse than this. Outside that complaint, I actually stood and read this entire poster. We have an old pump organ in my family & I'd like to know more about it. This poster didn't help me at all with that, but it was still interesting for me to read.

An old farm house typical of the size Pa would have built & an old schoolhouse.

Inside the old farm house.

Inside the old school house.

Also in the school house.

A building filled mainly with items on how & why the pioneers traveled.

Inside the traveling exhibit building.

Outside the traveling exhibit building.

I loved this hitching post sign. Can you imagine tying the horse you rode in to town on on this?

This wasn't my favorite place to visit. But if I were driving by, I'd probably stop in again & I'd know what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...