Friday, May 11, 2012

Sahara Desert

From Antarctica we traveled almost directly north to the Sahara Desert in Africa on our trip around the world.


SCHOOL ROOM STUFF
Our display for the week. From our house I set out a few books, the Planet Earth DVD (since there is a video on the desert) and Disney's Aladdin movie. I also had out a number of books we checked out from the library.

We measured on the globe that it was 8,250 miles from Antarctica to the Sahara Desert.

A sunny stamp for his passport

Geography chart filled with desert information.

The front of the postcard Capt. N is "sending" to his dad.

He also designs a stamp and writes a short message.

We looked through our African continent box. Capt. N loves the continent boxes.

At night I read The Missing Mummy to the boys before bed. I have never read any of these books before, but the boys seemed to enjoy it. It had just enough suspense to keep their attention and wonder what was going to happen next.

This was the art project for the week.

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you integrate the art, geography, reading, a hands-on box and even a math aspect in this. I may have to back up and read some of your previous posts so I can see if I can re-create this kind of thing with my kids.

    Visiting from Daphne's Dandelions. (I homeschool, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son loves this unit. It's his favorite part of the day. And, I love it because each week I'm able to throw in a couple real-life math problems & a fun writing project with the postcard. Each week he has improved writing this friendly letter.

      Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to see what you come up with if you do something similar.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...