Sunday, April 22, 2012

Continent Boxes - Intro

Amongst all my web searching, I came across Montessori-inspired continent boxes. Instantly, I knew I had to make my own version. I love the idea of having a quick peek into every continent at my disposal anytime. I can imagine tons of uses for these boxes.

So what do I have in our boxes? The items vary a little bit, but for the most part each box contains the same type of things, just specified for its continent. Some things are more appropriate for my 4 year old, other things are meant for my 9 year old. I'm hoping to continue adding goodies to the boxes as things present themselves - especially to Antarctica. Poor Antarctica has almost nothing.

Our stack of continent boxes. I found these boxes in the party isle in Target. They are just a kraft-type paper shirt box.

A peek inside Africa's box.

Each box (except Antarctica) has a flag wheel I printed from Enchanted Learning.

Photos from trips taken by us, family or friends.

I now know why each time we've traveled outside the US I've saved a smidgen of the local currency. It was so I could one day add it to the continent boxes I made for my homeschooled children. I printed paper money from a site that unfortunately seems to be gone now for the continents I haven't had the privilege of traveling to.

I made little envelopes to contain like things.

I printed art pieces from the web to get a collection of art styles.

In the landmarks envelope are flashcards.

The animals envelope is also full of flashcards.

The flashcards came from these boxes. I'm positive the box on the left came from Target. I think the box on the right also came from Target, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Each box has a variety of activity papers. Most are from these sites:
Education.com
Making Friends
Practical Pages
Paper Toys
Made by Joel

Our Continent Boxes:
Africa



My boxes were inspired by these blogs:
Discovery Days & Montessori Moments
What did we do all Day

If you've made continent boxes, please leave a link. I'd love to see them.

5 comments:

  1. What organized continent boxes! Great ideas you have shared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of making pockets for different things! I love seeing other people's continent boxes, too. Here's a link to my continent box posts: http://homeschooladventures3.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Continent%20boxes

    ReplyDelete
  3. your continent boxes are fun. I enjoyed checking them out. feel free to check my pinterest boards I like sharing. Eve Sturm :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The money links will not work for me. Any ideas on where I can print from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dang! It was a great site. Bummer that it's gone. I'm not sure where to print them instead. I'll have to look into it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...