Friday, September 30, 2011

StArt - Super Guinea Pig

As I've mentioned many times before, Capt. N struggles with reading. So, I've been trying to find fun ways to help him improve. One day when I was at the library I noticed a sign that said, "Read to the Dogs." I signed him up. This past Monday he went to the library and read a book to a trained dog who laid on a pillow beside him. This dog was the best listener & his trainer/owner was great, too. The book he read was Super Guinea Pig to the Rescue. Capt. N loved the book so much he wanted to check it out. This was the book we read that night at bedtime. All 3 of my kids loved it. Since they enjoyed it so much I couldn't resist making a project for them to do the next day.


This story is about a regular ol' guinea pig who ignores his friends to watch Super Guinea Pig on tv. When his friends start making fun of him he pretends he is best friends with Super Guinea Pig. Then the story unfolds with the disasters of telling such a lie. It's a fun story, with a good message. And there aren't many stories with the main character being a guinea pig.

I cut out a guinea pig shapes, then drew on the faces.

I gave the kids scraps of paper, glue & markers and asked them to make their own Super Guinea Pig. A pretty simple project, but they really liked it.







2 comments:

  1. What fun reading to dogs...I will have to keep an eye out for that at our library. I think their Guinea Pigs are adorable and the book sounds really cute too! Thank you for sharing and linking up to stART :)

    Michelle @ A Mommy's Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle ~
    I'm not sure how long our library has had reading to a dog, but it must be fairly popular because the time slots fill up quickly. My son loved it. He will be doing it again later this month.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...