Monday, September 12, 2011

1st Day of School

Yahoo! I'd call today a successful first day. I had fun, Capt. N had fun & even learned a few things and Princess K behaved very well. Here's a look at a few of the activities Capt N did in school today.




One of the first things he did was color & fill out the front cover of an "About Me" book I dowloaded from Enchanted Learning.

We sat in bed taking turns reading a Magic Treehouse Book.

His grammar lesson was on nouns. I asked him to look around the room, find nouns & write them in the correct column. He was so excited to write on the white board, but it ended up being a slight challenge for him. He found it hard to write when the board was up against the wall & he's left handed so he had to be careful not to let his hand erase what he had just written on the board.

Pieces for his page on nouns. It was easy for him to figure out if the noun was a person, place or thing. We also talked about common & proper nouns.

When complete, he will add this fold out page on nouns to his English language notebook.

Spelling. The worksheet showed how to split the double consonant words into syllables. Before school started I cut yellow paper, then laminated the pieces to use with dry erase markers throughout the year.

Saxon math uses its lesson number as the number of the day. This number is used to make number sentences. Today's number of the day was one. I know this is an easy number, but I was happy that Capt N took it upon himself to use a manipulative to make his sentence. He was eating a bag of fritos & showed me that 1 frito + 0 fritos = 1 frito. It's this type of learning that I'm excited about. He's free to ask questions, make comments & be creative with the learning process anytime he wants.

Part of today's math lesson was talking about time. This was review & he did very well. And, he loved it. The lesson was only to talk about the hour hand & have me be in charge of the clock. But, he soon got bored with that & asked if he could make & write his own times. He did great & I was proud to see he had initiative to do more. Having the freedom to let him do this seems like it will be a promising year.

Of course, he also had a math worksheet to work on. It was easy-peasy for him. But, that worked out nice for the first day.

Part of the worksheet was filling in the days of the week - which he knows. But, in our conversation I learned he doesn't know the order of the months of the year. He knows the months, but not which one goes where. What? How did my 8 year old not know this? I was shocked. But now I know to work on this with him, as well as my other two kids.


We will be doing lapbooks this year. He filled out the wind book first thing this morning to practice his handwriting. He made the lapbook cover this afternoon.

The last thing he did was stick some dates on the timeline.

The only fault I can see in the day was that even though everybody was on their best behavior it took longer to do things than I expected. I made a daily schedule, but it may need adjusted. I'll give it a few days before changing anything, though.


Schedule How the day really went
8:00 - 8:10 Handwriting
8:10 - 8:30 About Me book
8:30 - 9:00 Reading
9:00 - 9:30 Grammar
9:30 - 10:15 Math
10:15 - 12:00 Break
12:00 - 12:15 Spelling
12:15 - 12:45 Raz Kids
12:45 - 2:00 Social Studies
2:00 - 2:30 Typing

8:00 - 8:10 Take pics, get situated, etc.
8:10 - 8:25 Handwriting
8:25 - 8:35 About Me book
8:35 - 9:05 Reading
9:10 - 9:30 Grammar
9:35 - 10:00 Math
10:10 - 11:10 Pick up Mr. T
11:10 - 12:30 Break
12:30 - 12:50 Math (continue)
12:50 - 1:05 Grammar (continue)
1:10 - 1:35 Spelling
1:35 - 2:30 Social Studies




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...