Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Sight Words

Near the end of the last school year I decided I needed to practice the sight words at home with Capt. N. His teacher gave me the sheets with words on it. I didn't think that would hold his interest at all, so I made these flash cards. I printed the words on cardstock, used a hole punch in the corner and placed them on a ring clip. I didn't want him knowing which level of sight words he was doing, so I came up with a color coding system. I have 8 different levels - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, silver & black. Red is the easiest, black the most difficult. I mentioned in my last post that occasionally I bribe/reward him. This is one of those times. I don't know if I really think bribing is the best way to go. But, he struggles & I want him to be glad his hard work paid off. Somehow I forgive myself for rewarding him by knowing I don't buy my kids crap toys or happy meals throughout the year. So, what kind of crap am I bribing him with? When he was working on the red cards, he got a variety of red things, after he passed all the orange cards he got orange things, etc. He passed red, orange & yellow quickly. Green took him a couple tries. He's on the blue cards now. These got a little tougher for him. They include words like railroad, saucer & mischief and are upper 3rd grade level. Which brings me to the question - if he can read slightly above his level sight words why can't he read them altogether in sentences with confidence & speed?


The orange flashcards

The orange rewards



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...