Saturday, August 6, 2011

2011 - 2012 Curriculum

This is all so new to me. I haven't even officially taught one day of homeschooling yet, but I have done a ton of planning. I think I have the majority of the curriculum figured out. I'm glad to have stumbled across the Not Back to School Blog Hop to read about what other families are doing. I'm sure I will be referring back to many of those bloggers often. I also figured I might as well join in on the fun.


Not Back to School Blog Hop


I have 3 kids, but will only be homeschooling my 3rd grade son. He loves math & science, but struggles with his reading fluency. Here's what I hope we get through in this school year.


MATH ~
Saxon Math, grade 3









GRAMMAR, SPELLING, VOCABULARY ~
Sylvan Super Reading Success, 3rd grade
Harcourt Language Arts, 3rd grade
Caught 'ya: Grammar with a Giggle  - we will start this after Christmas break





READING ~
Read a novel for 30 minutes - daily
Scholastic Using Picture Books to Teach Comprehension Strategy - 1x/week
Develop Reading Fluency Using Poetry - 1x/week
Raz Kids - computer based program to aid in reading fluency - 3x/week
Evan Moor How to Report on Books

A few of the books he will read this year.


HANDWRITING ~
Handwriting without Tears, Cursive

I read this was good for kids that are left handed, & since my guy is a lefty I went with this. We will start this after Christmas break.





SOCIAL STUDIES ~
The US Constitution and You
How the Government Works
US Government & Presidents
I only have books for the government unit, but have a ton of other things planned.




SCIENCE ~
Again, no structured curriculum. But, we have a ton of science books to work with.







WRITING ~
Harcourt Language Arts, 3rd grade - to learn the specifics about paragraphs, etc.
(Almost) Daily Journal
I have a variety of writing assignments planned mostly based on themes we are using in other subjects


OTHER ~
Art - variety, 2x/week
Music - variety, 2x/week
PE - taekwondo & baseball in the spring, 2x/week
Keyboarding - Read, Write & Type or Dance Mat Typing, 3x/week
Cooking - 1x/month



2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer,

    How did you come to the decision to buy individual curriculum over a packaged curriculum that includes all subjects? We will start homeschooling officially this year and I cant seem to wrap my mind around all the products available. I am thinking of ending my insanity buying the sonlight complete curriculum this first year to help me see things more clearly, and then reevaluate the next year. Its so overwhelming! Your blog is cute, and I love your continent boxes. Thanks for sharing your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely overwhelming. Honestly, I spent most of last summer figuring out what I was going to use as curriculum. I have heard great things about sonlight & looked in to them briefly. The main reason I chose to go with a variety in the curriculum was so I could gear everything at my son's level in each course. I wasn't sure if I could do that with a complete curriculum. My son does great in math, but not so great with reading, writing & spelling. The stuff we did for reading fluency needed to be at a 2nd grade level. But, his reading comprehension activities needed to be at or above 3rd grade. All in all, it worked out well for us. We adjusted as needed. And, now that the year is just about over I feel like we had a successful first year. Good luck on your homeschooling adventure!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...